As a parent, buying a car for your son or daughter that is just starting to drive can be very nerve racking. It is always important to look for the safest car possible.
Auto accidents are the leading cause of death among teenagers. Vehicle size and class have a very significant impact on the degree of risk!
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) recently found that teens are more likely to drive smaller, older cars that often do not have the proper safety equipment that a teen driver needs.
In fact, in a survey conducted by IIHS 83 percent of people who bought a car for their teenager bought it used.
Here are the top 10 safest, used mid-sized vehicles out there:
10. Hyundai Sonata – 2011 and later; $12,100
09. Kia Optima – 2011 and later; $13,300
08. Lincoln MKZ – 2010 and later; $13,500
07. Subaru Outback – 2010 and later; $14,000
06. Buick Verano – 2012 and later; $14,100
05. Toyota Camry – 2012 and later; $14,300
04. Audi A4 – 2009 and later; $14,300
03. Honda Accord sedan – 2012 and later; $14,400
02. Mercedes Benz C-Class sedan – 2009 and later; $16,000
01. Toyota Prius - 2012 and later; $19,100