Ah, the sun is shining and the weather continues to heat up in California. It’s time to hit the pool! As a homeowner with a pool, you bear a number of responsibilities, especially if you have guests over to swim from time to time. It is crucial that you are following swimming pool regulations, or swimming accidents and injuries may occur much sooner than later.
If you are not following swimming pool regulations, you may be held liable and/or deemed AT FAULT for an accident or injury occurring on your property. So, how can you tell when you may be at fault? Here are a few cases…
• Lack of supervision by the pool (especially younger children.)
• Carelessness (not cleaning up pool area, tripping hazards, etc.)
• Faulty/damaged pool (damaged ladder, no ladder, etc.)
• Rough/risky behavior by pool (allowing drinking, diving in the shallow end, etc.)
• Poor maintenance, resulting in defects
To avoid a pool liability issue this summer, it is important that you keep a close eye on the individuals using your pool, keep your pool well maintained, etc. If you are found guilty of any of the above bullet points, you may be facing a lawsuit much sooner than you had ever anticipated.
Fortunately, having the right liability on your homeowners insurance policy may make all the difference once a lawsuit is near. Our agents at Mitchell and Mitchell Insurance Agency can discuss your liability insurance options at your earliest convenience. Do not hesitate to reach out to us to learn more!