Surveys conducted by the Council for Disability Awareness reveal surprising misperceptions about disability among working adults.
IRS Myth: The odds of being audited by the IRS are greater than the likelihood of experiencing an illness or injury that prevents you from working. 27% of working adults surveyed guessed an audit is more likely.
Fact: Odds of an IRS audit: 1%. Odds of disability: 25%.
Lottery Legend: Winning the big lottery jackpot is more likely than becoming unable to work due to illness or injury. That's what more than 20 percent of workers under 40 said when surveyed.1
Fact: The real odds are one in 259 million for winning the lottery,1 versus one in four for becoming disabled.2
Accidents Myth: Most disabilities are caused by accidents and injuries.
Fact: 90% of disabilities are due to illnesses3
Muscle/Bone Disorders - 28.6%
Cancer - 15.1%
Injuries and Poisoning - 10.3%
Cardiovascular - 8.7%
Mental Disorders - 8.3%
Nervous System-Related - 7.7%
Workers' Comp Fallacy: Social Security Disability insurance or Workers' Compensation covers most disabled workers.
Fact: 65% of initial SSDI claims were rejected in 2012.4 And only 5% of disability claims are work-related. The other 95% of claims are not, which means they're not eligible for Workers' Compensation.5
For more insights and calculators to help clients estimate their own risk quotient, go to disabilitycanhappen.org.
1 America's Income Protection Picture, 2014 Disability Awareness Study, Council for Disability Awareness, disabilitycanhappen.org/research/pdfs/awareness2014.pdf
2 U.S. Social Security Administration, Basic Facts, April 4, 2014
3 2014 Long Term Disability Claims Review, Council for Disability Awareness, disabilitycanhappen.org
4 U.S. Social Security Administration, Disabled Worker Beneficiary Data, December 2012
5 2013 Long Term Disability Claims Review, Council for Disability Awareness, disabilitycanhappen.org