Individuals who are self-employed may find purchasing health insurance a bit more complex. It does not have to be, though.
With the help of an experienced agent, you will find purchasing health insurance a bit easier. Nevertheless, there are a few things to keep in mind during the process. Most people will need buy health insurance, no matter what type of employment you have.
What Coverage Do You Need?
Self-employed individuals often need health insurance for their needs and those of their family. If you own a company, on the other hand, with employees, you may benefit from purchasing a policy for your company as a whole. This may reduce the overall amount of money you spend out-of-pocket for healthcare.
When choosing a policy just for you, though, carefully weigh your options. Here are some things to consider:
- Who will be a part of the policy? For example, you may need only coverage for yourself or you may need a family plan.
- Consider the options and tax advantages of some policies and health savings plans. Some small businesses may benefit from these tax advantages significantly.
- Look for coverage that fits your specific needs. For example, you may benefit from maternity coverage if you could become pregnant. In this case, it would provide the support you need to meet your needs during that time.
- Consider deductibles carefully. Reducing your deductible can increase costs, but it also helps to make care more affordable to you. Don’t overlook the value of having coverage that’s affordable to you on a daily basis.
- Consider any discounts if you are a member of a professional association or organization. This can also help to reduce the costs to you.
Self-employed individuals need health insurance just like anyone else. Your insurance agent can help you determine if it is more affordable to buy a policy as a company or to buy an individual plan for you and your family. The tax advantages can be beneficial, but determining affordability is also important. Work with your agent to get a policy that meets your specific needs. This makes buying health insurance much more valuable and beneficial to you.
Mitchell & Mitchell Insurance Agency, Inc. can help you get Los Angeles health insurance if you are self-employed. Give us a call at (888) 512-8878 for more information.